Visiting Amsterdam - What to See and Do
(Amsterdam Schiphol Airport AMS, Netherlands)
The exciting, cosmopolitan city of Amsterdam is one of Europe's top tourist destinations and offers a huge variety of attractions for visitors to explore.
Famed for its canals, coffee shops, art galleries, architecture, museums and large red light district, this city is a thriving metropolis which retains a relaxed, easy-going charm.
Ten things you must do in Amsterdam
- Take a boat tour of Amsterdam's picturesque canals, passing scenic bridges and some stunning architecture.
- Visit Anne Frank's House where the young Jewish girl hid from the occupying Nazis for 25 months and wrote her famous diary.
- Enjoy the wonderful art on display at Amsterdam's famous galleries and art museums, such as the Rijksmuseum, the Van Gogh Museum, the Stedelijk Museum and Rembrandt House.
- Try your luck at the Holland Casino Amsterdam, one of the biggest casinos in Europe.
- Marvel at the wonderful architecture that can be found around the city, with highlights including the Royal Palace and the Old Stock Exchange.
- Walk around the colourful red light district, home to many prostitutes and coffee shops selling marijuana.
- Stroll around the beautiful Hortus Botanicus (Botanical Gardens), which contain different kinds of plants from all over the world.
- Step back in time with a visit to one of Amsterdam's many superb museums, such as the Jewish Historical Museum, Amsterdam Historical Museum, Erotic Museum, Hash Marihuana Hemp Museum and others.
- See the thousands of animals on display at Artis Zoo. A zoological museum and a geological museum can also be found on the site.
- Have a night out on the town and enjoy Amsterdam's legendary nightlife.